Transforming the Lattice Under My Deck into a Giant Outdoor Busy Board

Transforming the Lattice Under My Deck into a Giant Outdoor Busy Board

I'm excited to share my latest DIY project: transforming the lattice under my deck into a Giant Outdoor Busy Board. This project has been so much fun to put together, and I'm thrilled to tell you all about it.


The Idea

The idea struck me to turn the lattice under my deck into a sensory playground
for my kids. I wanted to create a space that was not only engaging and fun but also budget-friendly. So, I headed to Home Depot and picked up pretty much everything that cost less than $5 and could move or had a fun texture. I also used scraps from our shed to complete the project.

Materials Used

  • Assortment of locks, latches, and hinges
  • PVC pipes and tubing
  • Wheels
  • Mailbox flag
  • Scrap wood
  • Paint roller and long-handled brush
  • 12-inch zip ties (Amazon, $5.50 for a pack of 100)

The Process

I didn’t go in with a detailed plan, which I’m glad for since it allowed me to be flexible and creative. Here’s how I brought this idea to life:

  1. Stabilizing the Lattice: The lattice was quite thin, so I placed pieces of scrap wood behind it before drilling. This provided the necessary stability and kept the ends of the screws from poking out of the other side.
  2. Adding Locks and Latches: I installed an assortment of locks, latches, and hinges. My goal is to eventually revise these so that they can open and close loose parts, adding an extra layer of engagement for the kids.
  3. PVC Pipes and Tubing: I added PVC pipes and tubing. I secured them with just one screw so they can swing around. This feature allows the kids to adjust the angles for water play and ball chutes.
  4. Paint Roller with Long-Handled from a Brush: I attached a paint roller to the end of a long-handled brush using zip ties. This adds a fun, textured element that the kids can roll and explore.
  5. Mailbox Flag: I included a mailbox flag near what will be the entrance to our mud kitchen. It’s a fun, interactive element that the kids will love.
  6. Adjustments for Height: I realized that some elements, especially the PVC and tubing, were too high for my kids. I'll be adjusting these to better suit their heights.
  7. Favorite Feature: So far, the kids' favorite feature is the sliding chain lock. They love the challenge and sensory feedback it provides.
Check out the video of my process on Instagram

Future Plans

This is just the beginning! I plan to add musical instruments to the busy board and make further adjustments to the locks and latches. These changes will make the board even more interactive and engaging. I’m also excited to see how the kids interact with and enjoy their new play area.

Why I Love This Project

What I love most about this project is how it encourages creativity and sensory exploration. The different textures and movable parts provide great sensory input, promoting regulation and developmental growth. The various locks, latches, and hinges are excellent for fine motor skills and problem-solving.

Join Me on This Journey

I’m excited to see how my kids will interact with and enjoy this new space. I’ll be sharing more updates and DIY projects soon, so stay tuned! Follow me for more easy, low-cost, and low-prep ideas to use with your kids. For more details, subscribe to my blog and follow me on social media to keep an eye out for new posts.


#DIYProjects #BusyBoard #OutdoorPlay #MontessoriInspired #WaldorfInspired #SensoryPlay #BackyardFun #CreativeKids #MomLife #BudgetFriendly #Upcycle #PlayAndLearn #OutdoorActivities #KidsActivities #ParentingHacks #SummerFun #HomeDepotFinds #PlayfulLearning #MudKitchen #SensoryExploration

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Montessori & Waldorf Inspired Backyard on a Budget: Our Summer DIY Adventure

Creating Nature's Playground: Transforming a Fallen Tree into Log Cars, Step Stones, and Balance Beams

Creating a Backyard Pretend Campsite